The K&Co restaurant in Madrid is certified EcoCook Sustainable Restaurant level 4 since July 2018, demonstrating its commitment to sustainable development.
EcoCook® is the only Swiss certification for the catering sector that recognizes the sustainable practices at all operational and management levels. For the customers, EcoCook® is a guarantee of these practices and commitments in terms of sustainability.
The EcoCook team made up of experts in sustainability, certification and communication, has developed the “EcoCook Sustainable Restaurant Certification Program” that allows restaurants to:
- Improve their practices
- Reduce their environmental impacts
- Reduce their operating costs
- Distinguish themselves
Discover below the results of the certification of the K&Co restaurant certified EcoCook® Sustainable Restaurant level 4.
The EcoCook® Sustainable Restaurant Certification Program’s online platform provides a global overview of the restaurant’s level of sustainability, at any time, and of each establishment. Above are the scores of the K&Co restaurant (unit: EcoCookpoints).
As this graph indicate, a margin for improvement is still possible. However, K&Co obtained level 4 certification.
This means that K&Co restaurant meets a large number of sustainability criteria, but there is still potential for improvement. The EcoCook certification program requires the achievement of some criteria in each of its first 7 themes and K&Co meets them all and more. All this has resulted in the highest level of EcoCook certification, level 4.
Food and beverages, Menus and cooking
- K&Co selects its suppliers for their environmentally responsible practices.
- All its dishes are prepared in its own kitchen. Dishes are also suitable for celiac and vegan people.
- More than 50% of the fish and shellfish are caught sustainably and/or ecologically.
- More than 50% of fruits and vegetables are seasonal.
- More than 50% of the food is bought directly from farmers or cooperatives.
- They offer fair trade coffee and organic wines.
Communication and Social responsibility
K&Co communicates its commitment to sustainability on its website.
- Through their communication supports they inform about their sustainable, local and fresh products from environmentally responsible suppliers.
- K&Co promotes regular non-intensive physical activity.
- They encourages employees and customers to use bicycles, electric scooters, cars and electric motorcycles.
- As part of their human resources policy, they are committed to reconciling work and family and to integrate into the employment market of people registered in the INEM (unemployment situation), favoring access to employment for young people under 30 years of age.
Resources, Products and materials
- They use an aerothermic system for the production of cold and heat through a radiant/cooling floor system.
- LED lighting, presence detectors, and water reducers allow them to make energy savings.
- K&Co is committed to controlling their monthly energy consumption and implementing concrete actions to reduce their consumption.
- The interior furniture comes from controlled forest holdings (PEFC certified). The decoration of the premises is also made with recycled materials and without plastic.
- The floors are made of micro-concrete, the isolation is made of 100% natural wood conglomerates and the wall paints are ecological.
- K&Co promotes the use of biodegradable and ecological cleaning products.
- The refrigerants do not contain HCFCs (hydrochlorofluorocarbons).
- Staff uniforms are made from organic cotton.
- Flowers and plants are local and organic.
Waste, Compensation and donations
- K&Co has implemented a system of monitoring and control of waste to reduce them as much as possible.
- K&Co promotes the use of raw materials containing limited packaging.
- K&Co uses only reusable cutlery and crockery.
- More than 90% of the restaurant’s beverage purchasing volume is in returnable containers.
#EcoCook #sustainability #sustainablerestaurant #sustainablechef #homemade #recipe #vegetarian #lactosefree #glutenfree #healthy #localproduct #freshproduct #seasonal #sustainablecook #allergy #foodintolerance #vegetarianmenu #ecologicalproduct #biodegradable #sustainablefishing #MSC #ASC #resourcemanagement #zerowaste #bio